Monday 13 October 2008

Philips DVP-5160 DVD DivX player review.



Firstly, to give you some idea of how impressed I am with this product, if you exclude my SLR camera, I would say this is my most prized possession! Not bad for something which cost £40 including delivery!


I was after a DVD player which could handle DivX format files (widely used on the internet) which was my only real criteria. I've had a couple of Philips' products before and they've been well-built, functional and attractive so I shelled out £ 40 including delivery from Amazon.co.uk. What I received is a player which has both DVD tray and USB input. This means you can write to a temporary medium such a re-writable DVD or memory stick and not have to permanently use a DVD up. This saves on cost if you're only going to watch, say, a program once. It's also convenient meaning you only have to write what you wish to watch which saves on time too.


This player has a very easy to use interface operated through a small remote control which is comfortable to use with one hand.
It has played all the formats I can throw at it so far. DivX, AVI,WMA,MP3,Audio CD,DVD, you name it, this plays it! I would say the playback from DVD seems more reliable than from a USB device...a couple of "choppy" viewings have occurred from the USB input. This has never happened from DVD so I just use that now. Pictures have never been a problem with USB, just video.


Fast forward is up to 32X and playback can be resumed from where you turned off. Zoom is up to 200% (handy for reading text if you have a 14 inch telly like myself!)


The Audio Menu is terrific. 3D simulation is possible with options ranging from living room to arena! Tone can be adjusted with Sci-fi/Drama/Action settings etc.

For the price I would have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending this DVD player.

Reviewed by Mark Woods, 2008. LordBeanpod@GMail.com


philips,dvp5160,dvd,player,playback,film,movie,mp4,divx,wmv,mp3,avi,disc,cd,vcd


No comments: