Monday 13 October 2008

Jeremy Clarkson Hardback - "Don't Stop Me Now!" review.

Firstly, this is more than a book about cars. It is Mr Clarkson's dry, witty and always cynical outlook on the world. If, like me, you find relief in discovering someone who is still politically incorrect, chauvanistic and doesn't care who knows it you will love the book. I found a lot of myself reflected in reading this.

I have not enjoyed reading a book as much as this in a long time. The format of the reviews makes this an easy read to pick up and put down. Reviews are about 4 pages on average with great photography. The first 3 pages of a review are devoted to a humorous commentary on something seemingly unconnected with a car. This is always rectified in the last page with a surprisingly insightful description of the car itself. I believe all the reviews have previously been published in The Times.

Many car types are covered; supercars to the lowliest of runabouts....they're all here. Genuinely useful information can be found within the covers....not just the eye-watering performance figures of Veyrons and Diablos.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this book for both entertainment and basic information on the cars reviewed. Someone who was only a fan of humour would probably be best advised to steer clear (amusing pun intended) as this is a serious work of car journalism too.

At the time of writing (October 2008) Jeremy has been involved in a head on crash but early reports indicate that he is pretty much unscathed; "My right index finger looked like a burst sausage, my left shin was fatter than my thigh and my back felt like someone had driven over it with a pile-driver."

Good luck with the recovery, Jeremy, and lets hope another book as good as this appears soon.

Reviewed by Mark Woods, 2008. LordBeanpod@GMail.com


driving,cars,review,fast,sports car,porsche,mercedes,ferrari,tyres,squeal,racetrack,tourer,petrol,diesel,engine,accelerate,0-60,mpg


No comments: