Wednesday 25 February 2009

Rainbow Six Vegas - XBox 360 game review.

Having played Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell on the PS2 some time ago (see my previous review) I was not expecting too much from this Xbox 360 title.

My earlier experience was of a repetitive game which had a hard difficulty level which left me less than satified. As this game was in the same franchise I expected to be underwhelmed. I was wrong.

This time the game obviously has a lot more processing power behind it. That doesn't mean it has to be much better but this sure is!!

The plot revolves around Las Vegas being taken over by a well organised terrorist group and held hostage..With the threat of the Hoover Dam being released into the desert city your squad must move quickly! You play Logan, commander of the team, and armed to the teeth with modern technology you're flown into the action........

The game uses the Unreal Tournament engine and this makes for a great game.The visual aspect of a pitched gun battle becomes terrifyingly real (I'd imagine!). Smoke clears slowly after a grenade explosion...your vision is blurred for a few seconds after taking a hit or being around as a flashbang goes off......

The audio is great.....You really are immersed in the action. Explosions, shots, incoming radio chatter..all combine to form a frantic environment in which to fight for your life!

I also had a quick go on the multiplayer online version but to be honest I felt it was a large step down from the story mode (1 player). The graphics weren't as realistic and just felt me feeling I'd been playing Doom. Lots of running around without much happening until you're suddenly "tapped" by some more experienced player. Where's the fun in that?

So, playing in story mode, I would heartily recommend this to lovers of military shooters.

8/10.

Review: Mark Woods, 2009 (LordBeanpod@GMail.com)


tom clancy,military,guns,rifles,pistols,killing,soldier,soldiering,uniform,review,helmet,mission,video game,clan,games,sight,grenade,hotel,siege,cover,ambush,explosion,weapon,knife,karate,hand to hand combat,special forces,helicopter,landing,clearing,trailer,game trailer,rainbow six trailer,rainbow six video,gameplay video







No comments: